Student life in Prague first
During your time in Prague, you will be able to get by in your day-to-day life by speaking English. The Czech Republic is used to receiving millions of visitors a year. Young people speak very good English, often better than the English spoken in Spanish-speaking countries. Therefore, you will be able to practice your English on a daily basis and become an advanced speaker in a very short period of time.
English is the language used throughout the degree programme – classes, exams and all study materials are all in English. Your results will never depend on your ability to speak Czech.
After your first year, you will take a Czech course for beginners in order to achieve a basic knowledge of the language, as you will need it during your internships at the hospital. However, we would like to stress that the official language of the degree programme is English.
Students can stay in the university’s Halls of Residence. It is important to book in advance as places are limited. First-year students are usually given priority. If you are interested, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make the booking.
It is also quite common for students to rent an apartment in the city centre, just a few minutes away from the university campus. It is possible to find an apartment for 250 EUR a month. We will help you find appropriate accommodation.
We will also put you in touch with other Spanish students starting the same year as you and send you apartment offers before you move to Prague. Please contact us for more information. Our experience will be of great help to you and we will seek to make the process of moving to another country as smooth as possible.
Accommodation: from 250 EUR/month – shared two-bedroom apartment or room in university Halls of Residence
Food: 3 – 5 EUR/meal – in student dining halls
Transport: 25 EUR/month – reduced prices for students
Overall, an average university student needs around 600 euros a month to cover their day-to-day living costs.
Students must have health insurance – this means that you must either be in possession of the European Health Insurance Card or have private insurance. You can also purchase private insurance directly from the Faculty of Medicine. Most of our students use the European Health Insurance Card.
Prague has its own international airport, offering a wide range of flight options to choose from.
You can take a direct flight from Madrid or Barcelona with airlines such as Iberia, Vueling, Wiiz Air, Smart Wings, Czech Airlines and Air Europa. Once you arrive in Prague, there are several bus routes that will take you to the city centre:
- Airport express: connects the airport with the main railway station and line C of the underground. The journey takes 35 minutes. One ticket costs 50 CZK (1.96 €) and is valid for one hour from the time of purchase.
- Bus 119: Connects the airport with Dejvická underground station (line A). The journey takes 25 minutes. One ticket costs 26 CZK (1 €) and is valid for 75 minutes from the time of purchase.
- Bus 100: Comunica el aeropuerto con la estación Zličín de la línea B del metro. El trayecto dura 25 minutos. El billete cuesta 26 CZK (1 €) y es válido durante 75 minutos a partir del momento de la compra.
- Bus 179: Connects the airport with Nové Butovice underground station (line B). The journey takes 45 minutes. One ticket costs 26 CZK (1 €) and is valid for 75 minutes from the time of purchase.
- To get around the city, you can choose to travel by bus, tram, subway or taxi.
Prague is a popular tourist destination – in fact, it is one of the top 20 tourist destinations in the world. The city has hundreds of tourist attractions and leisure activities catering to a wide range of tastes and interests. There is always something to do in Prague. Restaurants, bars and pubs, clubs, jazz clubs, opera, museums, parks, historic buildings… they are all at your disposal.
Prague’s nightlife is one of the most exciting in Europe and we are sure you will enjoy its student atmosphere. We truly believe it will be an experience you will never forget!